Thursday, March 13, 2014

My doctor thinks I have Asperger's Syndrome?

I don't agree with it but my mum does. I'm 15 years old by the way. Here are the criteria:

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g. By a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. Hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

So here we go:
1A) I'll give you that one. I don't really like eye contact but I have been working on it. Although when I'm in his office my expression is completely blank because the place is basically a black hole of sadness and depression. He really needs to re-decorate. And smile more. And be generally not a d!ck.

1B) Well I have friends in school that I will text/kik and very seldom do things with. I think that's normal for an introvert like me.

1C) My friends and I will talk about common interests and things in our lives. So that's not really a problem.

1D) I can empathize with people.

2A) I like many different things and can talk about many subjects. I like video games ie, Pokemon, GTA, Minecraft, Assassin's Creed, etc. I like watching youtube videos and my favourite show Doctor Who. Can we just have an intermission to talk about how good Doctor Who is? It's really good. I like listening to music although I can't play any instrument even though I own a piano. I would love to learn that. I like talking about the tech industry and also can we take a minute to talk about how awesome Google Glass is? It's awesome. We mostly just make sexual jokes whenever we talk though. Hahaha.

2B) I have a sort of routine I guess but it's not inflexible. I can do whatever really. I'm open to change.

2C) I don't have any of these. I crack my knuckles sometimes but most people my age do that so it's not weird.

2D) Parts of objects? What is that even supposed to mean? I'm not preoccupied with parts of objects. That just sounds odd.

There are other things to this but they are just there to rule out other diagnoses. I will admit that I do have anxiety and maybe a slight bit of depression but I don't think this is me. Also I don't like the fact that asperger's is, fundamentally, a form of autism. Be it high functioning, but it still is. That's just a fact. I don't want that label to carry with me throughout my life to hinder me.

So what do you think? Thanks for the input!

Читать далее: My doctor thinks I have Asperger's Syndrome?