Saturday, June 21, 2014

Can't run downloaded jar files?

I have windows 8 and after downloading jar files (specifically mods for minecraft) i receive the file in my downloads folder or my desktop (tried using both). Firefox, Chrome and IE give me the same problem. I've disabled my norton firewall/antivirus protection when downloading to try and help. Someone suggested going into about:config in Firefox and changing Browser.download.manager.scanwhendone to false however in the about:config page i searched for it and it wasn't there. When i go to Firefox it tells me i'm using the latest version. Other files (such as downloading and installing Firefox) work just fine and it seems to only be jar files. I have tried opening them from the miniature popup in the browser and from their download file locations. Every time i would run/doubleclick or open with java, absolutely nothing happens. Just yesterday (6/21/2014) i was able to run the same file type in any normal way. I do not have windows 8.1 however when i went to reset my computer i did "restart and update". When i go to my java folder i have jre7.

Read more: Can't run downloaded jar files?